Friday, January 13, 2012

Depilation


Earlier today, while I flicked through script pages to rewrite, trying to think of bomb proof solutions, I indulged in a little procastinatory desktop clean up and found some images that I shot during a film that I made a few years back - 'Skin'. It was a brilliant and strange shoot. Over a few weeks we filmed with taxidermists willing to work with human skin, international experts on rare moths, vellum conservators, 18th century botanical academics, funeral directors, yakuza skin preservationists and, of course, the incredible subjects of the film, eX de Medici* and Geoff Ostling. Sometimes this working life is a very strange one. Now, back to it.

















 
* eX de Medici: "You need to be a blunt edged instrument. I’ll describe an incident so you understand what I mean. I went to the cinema recently with a friend of mine – I used to go to the cinema a lot but I hadn’t been in a quite a few years. I sat down and they were playing the ads before the main feature. The sound and the vision were incredible like this way and that[waving her arms about] ... and everybody was just sitting there and so I thought ‘geez, this is a blunt edge instrument’. My friend couldn’t hear me but I was yelling in her ear, ‘if this is what people are used to, fuck, we’ll have to change our tactics’. If people are so desensitised to everything then a mild clobbering by me is going to look subtle."

No comments: